Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do Over!

Do you remember playing neighborhood sports as a kid? Not organized leagues, but just that group of kids that all gathered together on Saturday morning and suddenly became all-stars! Growing up in the late 70s and early 80s, I got to experience the advent of youth soccer. It was just taking off in American suburbia and I jumped in feet first! In fact, I think my Mom still considers herself officially the first "soccer mom"! And as Saturdays became Game Day, I absolutely fell in love with this burgeoning sport. But despite the cool uniforms and the cheers of the crowds, I always loved playing neighborhood soccer best of all. There is just something about playing soccer with your buddies! No rules, no uniforms and no ref! You play a little harder, get a lot more sweaty (maybe even a little blood!), and most of all, have a lot more fun.

But the one thing I remember most was the amount of grace we allowed each other. And we granted that grace with the ever popular "Do Over"! Remember the "Do Over"? You kick the ball crooked, it goes out of bounds and you yell, "Do over!" You hit a foul ball, "Do over!" You slip while trying to tackle the wide receiver, "Do over!" It was the best, and one of the only rules we had in neighborhood sports! Of course, there was always that guy that objected to most "do overs", but he was usually over ruled by other teams mates that knew they would probably need a "do over" as well when they had the ball!

Well, I've been thinking a lot about "do overs" as we begin a New Year, and as a parent, teacher and minister, I am considering giving myself a "do over" to start the year off right. I know! It sound cliche, but it's really how I've been feeling. I guess it's just human nature to reflect over the last year and take inventory of how you've been doing. This week, I found myself listing the various things that I want to do better. A lot of things went through my mind, but my predominate thought was to be a better spiritual leader to my two boys. Don't get me wrong, I pray with them every morning and night, get them to church every Sunday, make sure they make midweek groups, etc. But I want to feel like I'm doing more than just going through the motions. I want to connect with them on a deeper spiritual level. I'm not sure what that might mean right now. Maybe sharing more spiritual insight with them. Maybe sharing some cool things that God is doing in my life. Maybe just listening to them a little more. Whatever it might be, I'm considering a "do over".

You may not feel like you need a "do over" in this area. You may take stock of 2009 and feel as if all the pieces have fallen into place perfectly. But let me just ask you to do one thing. Since we all are either parents, teachers or both, we spend a great amount of our time with kids. Unfortunately, they usually don't reflect on the past year as we do. In fact, they usually don't reflect much on the last week, or day for that matter! But what has 2009 looked like for the children in our lives? What obstacles have they faced? What victories have they been a part of? Where are they spiritually? Are there any milestones that mark their walks with God?

Give this some thought. Spend some time with God and reflect. And if you see some things that you might have been able to do a little better with the kiddos, then I officially make the call!

Do over!!

No comments: